Posted to alt.home.repair
HeyBub[_3_] HeyBub[_3_] is offline

Default Burglar alarms and home security

wrote:

Everybody in my neighborhood has alarms and everybody ignores it
when a neighbor's alarm goes off as 99% are false alarms. If your
alarm goes directly to the police you risk a fine for a 2nd false
alarm and a third will cost you more. Neighbor was complaining that
it cost her $500 last year.

If you have false alarms something is wrong with your system, or
your residents - and a $500 charge for the false alarms would be much
better spent fixing the system.

Heh! We used to get an occassional false alarm from a motion detector. It
was located high on the wall in a corner of the room.

Finally deduced it was the cat getting to the top of a bookcase directly
below the alarm.

We masked off the bottom of the detector where it still scanned the room but
ignored whatever might be on top of the bookcase.