Posted to alt.home.repair
Robert Macy[_2_] Robert Macy[_2_] is offline

Default Burglar alarms and home security

On Apr 7, 7:48*am, wrote:
On Sat, 7 Apr 2012 05:57:37 -0400, "Robert Green"

wrote:
"Tony Hwang" wrote in message

Rebel1 wrote:
Because of a recent burglary, I am going to install an alarm system in
my single-family ranch home (no basement)that I reside in alone. The
street is a quiet, family-oriented one (no loud cars, boom boxes,
tough-looking guys of any age).

Hi,
How about a good trained guard dog. No matter how good security shield
you deploy, bad guys are always one step ahead of you. I have a live-in
domestic helper and a professionally *trained guard dog. *Alarm system
is very seldom armed.

They're useful to people who are mostly home, but for the OP, who says he's
gone for weeks at a time, I don't think it will help much. *He'll either
have to board the dog or depend on neighbors to feed and care for him. *That
opens up several cans of worms at once.

*A former customer used to have rottweilers. The dog had a radio
collar that openned the "doggy door" and the on-demand feeder, so they
could leave the dog at home alone for a week or too with no problem.
They left for a week's holiday and the first or second night they were
gone a guy broke in. The dog cornered him in the livingroom and put
the "fear of the lord" in him. The dog could eat without loosing sight
of him - and could also hang his ass out the door to do his business,
but the poor bugger who broke in couldn't move 6 feet without risking
having some important parts dissapear. When they returned the guy was
very dehydrated, very tired,very stinky, and VERY ****ed off!!

If he claimed breaking in to seek shelter [since he has not left with
any items yet]; it's a misdemeanor.

I wonder if he could sue?