Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Burglar alarms and home security

On Sat, 7 Apr 2012 05:57:37 -0400, "Robert Green"
wrote:

"Tony Hwang" wrote in message

Rebel1 wrote:
Because of a recent burglary, I am going to install an alarm system in
my single-family ranch home (no basement)that I reside in alone. The
street is a quiet, family-oriented one (no loud cars, boom boxes,
tough-looking guys of any age).

Hi,
How about a good trained guard dog. No matter how good security shield
you deploy, bad guys are always one step ahead of you. I have a live-in
domestic helper and a professionally trained guard dog. Alarm system
is very seldom armed.

They're useful to people who are mostly home, but for the OP, who says he's
gone for weeks at a time, I don't think it will help much. He'll either
have to board the dog or depend on neighbors to feed and care for him. That
opens up several cans of worms at once.

A former customer used to have rottweilers. The dog had a radio
collar that openned the "doggy door" and the on-demand feeder, so they
could leave the dog at home alone for a week or too with no problem.
They left for a week's holiday and the first or second night they were
gone a guy broke in. The dog cornered him in the livingroom and put
the "fear of the lord" in him. The dog could eat without loosing sight
of him - and could also hang his ass out the door to do his business,
but the poor bugger who broke in couldn't move 6 feet without risking
having some important parts dissapear. When they returned the guy was
very dehydrated, very tired,very stinky, and VERY ****ed off!!