Posted to uk.d-i-y
Rod Speed Rod Speed is offline

Default Talking of fuel.

Tim Lamb wrote
Rod Speed wrote
Tim Lamb wrote
Rod Speed wrote
Tim Lamb wrote
Rod Speed wrote
Tim Lamb wrote
Rod Speed wrote

The figure that matters is the diesel fuel use in cars in western europe where the govt tax on diesel might
justify the use of grown oil in cars.

There might be space in Australia to grow your own fuel but there certainly is not here.

Thats just plain wrong with europe. Particularly in eastern europe, there is plenty of space to do that.

So what are they currently doing with the land?

Like with all agricultural land, growing what produces
the best return and gambling on the weather etc.

As someone else pointed out, if it was cheaper to run the car on cooking oil, there would quickly be none for
cooking.

Just because someone claims that doesnt make it gospel.

Makes sense to me.

Then you dont have a clue about how agricultural production works.

I think I do:-)

You clearly dont if you cant see the problem with that particular claim.

I am very happy for you to explain where my thinking is wrong.

Did that in what you snipped.

It is in fact just plain wrong with western europe with eastern europe with plenty of space to grow oil if that
was economically viable.

I am not in Eastern Europe.

Irrelevant to where it can be grown.

If I were, I would grow crops which suited the climate and gave the best return without depleting soil fertility.

And thats true of plenty of oil crops.

I don't think this includes Cotton,

You're wrong on that.

Palm Oil, Olives or continuous Rape.

There are a hell of a lot more crops that are viable for oil there.

Do you have some suggestions?

The other oil crops that grow there fine.

Could you kindly put forward some examples?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_vegetable_oils

Right. So which of those do you consider suitable?

Most of the ones where the oil is a waste product.

With the others, it depends on where you want to grow them.

Russia and the Ukraine is already by far the main source of sunflower oil,
so it clearly grows in eastern europe fine if thats where you want to grow it.

And whats sold in western europe doesnt have to come from eastern europe anyway.

True. You suggested the land was available.

I actually said that eastern europe was only one
area where land is available in what you snipped.

I am just trying to establish what information you have to justify the suitability and availability of the land.

Where all these oils are currently grown.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_vegetable_oils

So clearly not Eastern Europe in any quantity likely to provide road fuel?

Wrong with sunflower oil most obviously.

And the absolute vast bulk of the oils that are a waste product of other agricultural activity.

FYI Unsuccessful trials on growing Soya where carried out in England some years back.

Pity about all the other oils that grow there fine.

And both of those areas are only a tiny subset of where oil has been
grown succressfully for centurys and for millennia in some cases.