Posted to alt.home.repair
Jim Yanik Jim Yanik is offline

Default How did the burglars enter?

Rebel1 wrote in
:

On 4/5/2012 11:50 PM, Robert Green wrote:
wrote in message

Consider installing a home security
alarm system and some motion
detector activated lighting around the perimeter
of your home...

Good idea. Have two very loud bells or sirens installed inside and
outside of the house. Junkies freak right out from the noise and
leave (so my cop friends say) and even pro burglars get unnerved by
an unholy loud racket. Some people even mount a flashing light on the
house so it's readily apparent where the noise is coming from.
Unfortunately burglars can do a lot of damage and take a lot of stuff
in the time in takes for the cops to arrive. That means trying to
"evict" them as soon as possible. My alarm flashes all of the inside
lights that are on X-10, making the place even more uninviting.

--
Bobby G.

Excellent ideas. I'm torn between having a silent alarm that notifies
the police so they can catch the burglars vs. a noisy one to scare
them away and let them strike elsewhere. I'll start a new thread
addressing the pros and cons of each approach.

Alarms have a high false rate,that aggravates police,and if
noisy,aggravates your neighbors. I have also heard bad stuff about ADT,that
their sign is like an invitation to burglars.

Noisy alarm infers that your neighbors would actually do something.
NOT always true.

Why are the only possible entrances the kitchen "door"(sliding patio door?)
or the window? Why couldn't they use a bump key on another door? it only
takes a second to unlock a door with one,and it leaves no evidence.
they can even lock the door behind them.

also,I've heard that prying up on a patio door can unlatch it and then it
can be slid open normally. those locks are not that secure.
you need to pin or burglar-bar it.

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik