Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Ball Turning

On Apr 5, 9:44*pm, Jon Elson wrote:
Bob La Londe wrote:

1. *Put the dowel in the spindle of one of the mini mills. *Put a
small vise on the table. *Clamp a lathe bit in the vise. *Cut the end
of the dowel just like on a CNC lathe. *For the precut pieces I have
this should be fine if the collets will hold them well enough and
leave out enough to cut. *(I'll try it with the cabinet doors closed,
LOL) *For using this method for longer stock I would need to put the
original spindle back on the Taig. * (it is hollow and I can feed
stock through it).

Yes, this works fine. *It might be just a little slower than
a CNC lathe, but will work fine.

Current headaches with both of the methods I plan to try first. *My
spindles are really way to fast for this type of work. *I do have a
PID speed controller sitting on the shelf for one of them that could
theoretically get me down to 5-6000 RPM (realistically more like 8000)
and still have good power since the PID will automatically compensate
for any drop in RPM. *Still awfully fast, but I might be able to make
it work.

Oh, well, that's going to be a problem with SS workpieces.

Jon

Yeah. Makes me regret pulling the stock spindle on the Taig
sometimes. Still it was only 1/4 HP so it might not have been much
better.