Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Buzzing sound from desktop PC

Mike Barnes wrote:
Frank Erskine :
On Wed, 04 Apr 2012 00:18:38 +0100, The Natural Philosopher
wrote:

Wesley wrote:
It starts a few minutes after bootup. If I touch the casing it abates or
stops only to start again a few minutes later. I have a feeling its
the fan
as I had a similar problem with a PC some years ago.

Is there an easy cure short of replacing the fan?

yep. Open her up, blow the crap out and one drop of light machine oil on
any bearings you can access.

I would avoid machine oil (and definitely 'WD-40"!) in favour of clock
or even watch oil. Machine oil tends to become too gummy over time.

Powdered graphite would be my choice.

not good around circuit boards AT ALL.

and how hard it is to achieve it.