Posted to rec.woodworking
RonB[_2_] RonB[_2_] is offline

Default Off Topic: Compressors and Computers

On Apr 5, 7:40*am, "m II" wrote:
Plastic vacuum cleaner nozzles and moving air can generate a *lot of
static and that will "fix" your CPU for good in quick time.

Watch the fan bearings with compressed air. I have ruined a few and had
to replace the power supplies.

-------------"RonB" *wrote in message

Our quad core machine runs rather warm especially with its upgraded
graphics card. *I use canned air for the close in stuff and our house
vacuum, with the long nozzle, for general cleaning. *With heat sinks
and internal perforated mounts (disk drive, etc) it pulls air from the
back of objects instead of pushing dust in deeper. *Just be careful
and don't bump into board components.

We don't do it quite as often as he recommended but I probably clean
it out 3-4 times a year. *The main machine, mentioned above, actually
starts sounding a little different when it wants to be cleaned - a
mild buzz when working harder with big graphics of video.

RonB

That is why I think vacuum is a little more gentle.

RonB