Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Jon Elson Jon Elson is offline

Default Ball Turning

Bob La Londe wrote:

1. Put the dowel in the spindle of one of the mini mills. Put a
small vise on the table. Clamp a lathe bit in the vise. Cut the end
of the dowel just like on a CNC lathe. For the precut pieces I have
this should be fine if the collets will hold them well enough and
leave out enough to cut. (I'll try it with the cabinet doors closed,
LOL) For using this method for longer stock I would need to put the
original spindle back on the Taig. (it is hollow and I can feed
stock through it).

Yes, this works fine. It might be just a little slower than
a CNC lathe, but will work fine.

Current headaches with both of the methods I plan to try first. My
spindles are really way to fast for this type of work. I do have a
PID speed controller sitting on the shelf for one of them that could
theoretically get me down to 5-6000 RPM (realistically more like 8000)
and still have good power since the PID will automatically compensate
for any drop in RPM. Still awfully fast, but I might be able to make
it work.

Oh, well, that's going to be a problem with SS workpieces.

Jon