Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Winston Winston is offline

Default Just for the record

dpb wrote:
On 4/5/2012 4:50 PM, Winston wrote:

(...)

Sure! Madoff probably did no advertising himself at all.
The early customers did that for him and profited
handsomely, if they got out in time.

Well, don't think that's so, either.

Here's one. Took me a couple minutes to locate though.

The Picowers, according to attorneys investigating Madoff's phony financial
empire, were part of the scheme for more than 20 years. They and their daughter,
Gabrielle, made more than $5 billion in fictitious profits, according to a
complaint that was filed as part of federal efforts to recover money for the
victims of Madoff's scheme

Five Billion Dollar profit for just one of Madoff's early investors.

Holey Underwear.

http://www.businessweek.com/election..._benefici.html

Search on 'Madoff beneficiaries' if you want more of the gory story.

He had everything required to make it appear he was running an up-and-up trading
firm including a full back room that did nothing but generate false statements, prospectuses (prospecti? ) for
potential clients and and bogus filings for the SEC. That's hardly inaction waiting for a dupe to hand over money with
full disclosure.

OTOH, the odds are out there on lotteries including on the national news broadcast after broadcast when they're large
and comparisons of the likelihood of winning as compared to lightning strikes, etc., etc., etc., ... No fraud there. Not
a good investment, but not fraudulent.

There is no escape for our $13K customer.

Utter nonsense.

Utter sense.

We addict him and her at an early age.

No, it's all selected at will. All the rest is simply the mindset of avoidance of personal responsibility and the
creation of a victim-class by do-gooders who think it's their responsibility to run the world.

?

(...)

I am also now retiring from the thread having said all there is I have to say.

As do I.

--Winston