Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Hawwke-Ptooey: child of privilege

On 4/5/2012 12:17 PM, Hawke wrote:
On 4/4/2012 6:39 PM, George Plimpton wrote:
On 4/4/2012 5:36 PM, Hawke wrote:
On 4/4/2012 1:30 PM, George Plimpton wrote:
I am convinced that Ptooey was born, relative to most, with a silver
spoon in his mouth. I don't necessarily mean he was the offspring of
0.001 percenters, just that his parents were affluent. He has written
that he lives off investments yet is only in his early 60s, but his
description of his working life does not paint a picture of someone who
made a lot of money, invested it well and now has earned the right to
live well in an earlier retirement than most people can imagine. No -
Ptooey definitely gives the impression of someone who is living well
off
investments others made. You simply don't live off investments if your
working career was spent dabbling as a tennis instructor, paralegal and
other modestly paid pursuits.

Because Ptooey didn't earn his financial security, he takes it for
granted, as do so many children of privilege. As with the Kennedys, he
has a "I've got mine, now **** the rest of you" outlook.

That's known as the aristocratic or country club republican view of the
world. It must be irritating to know someone like me might be a member
of that elite group, eh?

You didn't earn it. You were born to privilege. You're a dilettante, a
dabbler, a fainéant. You weren't even able to achieve the biological
imperative. You're a dead end.

It's only so obvious you wish you could belong.

Gotcha!