Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Ball Turning

"Bob La Londe" wrote in message
On Apr 4, 10:09 pm, Bob La Londe wrote:
If you needed to put a hemisperical end on a bunch of 1/4" stainless
dowels how would you tackle it? Say 400, give or take.

No. They don't need to be terribley accurate. This is just to make
the non press fit end of alignment pins a little faster to start.
They do need to be pretty and smooth though.

My thoughts were to make a lathe bit to round or cut and round out of
HSS. Past experience has shown I am not all that good at grinding
lathe bits, but I did say it doesn't have to be too terribley
accurate.

I ground concave quarter round lathe bits with a tapered cone wheel in
a die grinder. It automatically gives a relief under the edge.

jsw