Posted to alt.home.repair
Kate[_5_] Kate[_5_] is offline

Default Concrete Patio

On 4/4/2012 6:24 AM, wrote:
Do the cracks open and close as temps fluctuate? If so, then the sections of slab are not completely stable, relative to one another. Mortaring or quicksetting a layer of tile or stone over the slab would likely develope cracks along the original crack lines. If those cracks don't open and close, then adding a layer of tile or stone may be a good fix and a good alternative.

I have a back patio that had a single crack, which opened and closed with temp fluctuations. Using a circular saw with a mason blade, I sawed the crack along the crack line as deep as I could, making a 1/8" to 3/16" wide kerf. I collected the scrap granite, marble, and other stone (the odd pieces they were to discard) from the local countertop/granite outlet, and laid them onto the patio, i.e., a random mosaic application. I did not load the kerf gap with mortar. I wanted that spacing to remain, to allow for any expansion& contraction. I grouted and cleaned the top as you would when laying ceramic tile. Some stone is slippery when wet, so I applied a nonslip sealant to the surface. So for, so good, after 4 years.

Some of the edge stones, especially where the "path" is most used, have been loosened, a bit, because I didn't take good enough care of/for a secure edging, an edging restraint as DadiOH advises. A possible way to remedy my scenario, as I plan to try, is to drill holes in the slab so the mortar better adheres to the original slab.

The increase in elevation of the patio, relative to the house, is about 1" for the mosaics plus 1/2" for the mortar layer. This increase didn't affect any other "systems" associated with the scenario. Prior to committing to this patio fix, I did evaluate everything, to see if some aspects/"systems" would be affected by the increase in elevation. I felt there would be no sigificant affects. So I would suggest you would need to evaluate your scenario if you would consider this approach.

It was a lot of work doing all that, including going fetch all the stone pieces, cleaning them (some needed cleaning), evaluating setting up stuff (some things I didn't anticipate or anticipate properly), sorting the pieces (for placement.... some pieces were a little thicker than others, also), mixing my own mortar, etc. My patio is 14'X 34'. It turned out nice, though. *My mother's front foyer is mosaic laid with stone pieces, this way.... that is where I got the idea to do a mosaic application on my patio.

I don't see why laying any stone or brick wouldn't work, as long as the slab sections don't expand and contract (too much?) and if the increase in elevation wouldn't be a problem.

Speculating: If there would remain an issue of expansion/contraction, such that a new crack or cracks would develope, then when planning the project, you could lay the stone so that a grout line would be along or near a previous crack line. When a new crack would develope in the new layer, it could be dug out and regrouted. I didn't think about this when I planned or did my patio, but I think I could easily regrout mine, if this issue occurred.

Regarding the salvaging of the broken/scrap/discarded granite, marble, stone pieces: There are 3 outlets, here, and only one allowed me to "dumpster dive". It's a good idea to ask before helping yourself.

Sonny

No the cracks do not open and close, so I am fortunate in that regard.

I have seen places at home shows that use stones, etc. I think that may
be a route to take. I don't think I could personally do that type of
hard work. Great ideas, with thanks.