Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Tim Wescott Tim Wescott is offline

Default Ball Turning

On Wed, 04 Apr 2012 22:09:13 -0700, Bob La Londe wrote:

If you needed to put a hemisperical end on a bunch of 1/4" stainless
dowels how would you tackle it? Say 400, give or take.

How exact?

If it didn't have to be too terribly precise, I'd figure out how to make
an end mill with a hemispherical "innie", 1/4" in diameter. Then I'd
push those dowels into it.

If that wouldn't cut it for fit or finish, I'd make a cutter with a
circular 1/4 turn, 1/4" diameter cutout, and individually turn each dowel.

Or, I'd make or obtain a spherical turning tool, and use that.

Or, I'd make a drawing, and give it to a company that has an NC lathe...

http://www.wescottdesign.com