Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking
John Doe John Doe is offline

Default Alternative to MacMaster-Carr?

rangerssuck rangerssuck gmail.com wrote:

John Doe j... usenetlove.invalid wrote:
rangerssuck rangerssuck gmail.com wrote:
John Doe j... usenetlove.invalid wrote:

I provided an error message that should make my point
perfectly clear to anyone who has two brain cells to rub
together.

If you don't believe it, try asking them.

Earlier in this thread, John, I believe you wrote about using
voice recognition to control your computer. Is there any
chance at all that there is some mechanism at work with that
setup that is generating extra mouse clicks, keystrokes or
other traffic with the McMaster web server?

That was part of my point. I know what's going on under the
hood of my computer. But that's obviously pointless in light of
their message making perfectly clear that the programming
weirdness is on their side. My computer cannot produce such a
message on their webpage, short of some truly miraculous virus.
But even if that were possible, it isn't, I keep viruses off of
my system and even keep track of root kits. I also keep squeaky
clean incremental backup copies of the Windows partition. That
is something few people do but the majority of people would
benefit from.

Yes, but viruses and rootkits aren't the only things that could
cause this. If your voice input system is generating extra
network traffic, that coud be triggering the protection on the
server.

That might be a possibility. I do lots of online shopping and
browsing. If I ever notice anything similar on another website,
I might troubleshoot my side.

If this were my system (or one of my customers'), I'd fire up
WireShark and collect all the network traffic leading to the
failure, and then look for stuff from my computer that shouldn't
be there.

Troubleshooting would be worthwhile if I had to shop there.

This may well be a problem on McMaster's site, but I doubt they
will fix it just for you.

I will cope, somehow.

You can either take a look at the actual network traffic and
maybe find out what's going on, or you can be ****ed at McMaster
and shop elsewhere.

Or I can just shop elsewhere.

--

It's up to you. And it's not "a really big deal" to me. To
tell the truth, the only reason I got involved was that I was hoping

From: rangerssuck rangerssuck gmail.com
Newsgroups: alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking
Subject: Alternative to MacMaster-Carr?
Date: Wed, 4 Apr 2012 15:46:17 -0700 (PDT)