Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking
RangersSuck RangersSuck is offline

Default Alternative to MacMaster-Carr?

On Apr 4, 6:04*pm, John Doe wrote:
rangerssuck rangerssuck gmail.com wrote:
John Doe j... usenetlove.invalid wrote:
I provided an error message that should make my point perfectly
clear to anyone who has two brain cells to rub together.

If you don't believe it, try asking them.

Earlier in this thread, John, I believe you wrote about using
voice recognition to control your computer. Is there any chance
at all that there is some mechanism at work with that setup that
is generating extra mouse clicks, keystrokes or other traffic
with the McMaster web server?

That was part of my point. I know what's going on under the hood
of my computer. But that's obviously pointless in light of their
message making perfectly clear that the programming weirdness is
on their side. My computer cannot produce such a message on their
webpage, short of some truly miraculous virus. But even if that
were possible, it isn't, I keep viruses off of my system and even
keep track of root kits. I also keep squeaky clean incremental
backup copies of the Windows partition. That is something few
people do but the majority of people would benefit from.

Yes, but viruses and rootkits aren't the only things that could cause
this. If your voice input system is generating extra network traffic,
that coud be triggering the protection on the server. If this were my
system (or one of my customers'), I'd fire up WireShark and collect
all the network traffic leading to the failure, and then look for
stuff from my computer that shouldn't be there.

You don't need to sell me on backups and computer condoms. I do this
stuff for a living, and I sell backup systems. But good backups and
good antivirus are not sufficient protection against buggy software.
This may well be a problem on McMaster's site, but I doubt they will
fix it just for you. I am most certainly not a McMaster "fan boy." I
like the convenience factor and (sometimes) don't mind paying a bit
extra for it, but it's really annoying that they don't give
manufacturer's part numbers. That aside, their web site has caused me
no problems.

You can either take a look at the actual network traffic and maybe
find out what's going on, or you can be ****ed at McMaster and shop
elsewhere. It's up to you. And it's not "a really big deal" to me. To
tell the truth, the only reason I got involved was that I was hoping
this thread would turn me on to some suppliers I hadn't yet heard
about. I came for the leads, I stayed for the semi-interesting tech-
talk.

The idea that it's a really big deal to the rest of the world is
coming from some zealous fan boys that might be scared to death of
changing their ways. Must be horrible to hear that your deity has
a flaw. It's annoying to me, but I have lots of time to shop
around. I never said it should be a big deal to anybody else. And
if it's so trivial and scarce, forget about it. Otherwise, I will
continue countering with the facts.

--

I can understand why they'd want to protect themselves from
bots ripping their content, but neither I nor anyone else here other

Please don't tell me to go **** myself. If I could, I would. In fact,
I'd be doing it so much that I'd be unlikely to have time for usenet.
As I have said before (though I doubt I've said it here), if I was a
woman, I'd probably stand naked in front of a mirror 24/7. So, unless
you can explain to me how, exactly, I would go about ****ing myself,
please don't tell me to do so.

Thanks

From: rangerssuck rangerssuck gmail.com