tshiker

Default The Last Hardware Store In America

Tom Watson wrote in message . ..
When Mr. Buck Moser decided to close up the hardware store

everybody
around here felt like they were about to lose a family member. Six
generations of the Moser family had stood behind that counter and Mr.
Buck had done it for about the longest of them all, spending
seventy-some of his eighty-five years working at and then running the
store

Agnew and Taylor
Lake Ronkonkoma NY

Started out as a dirt road general store/phone exchange/post
office/hardware store.
Open the door and a cow bell let the help know you were there. Walk
down any isle and you could hear the old floor boards protest your
arrival. Smell the big pot of coffee always hot and free. Go on a
sunday after church and you were sure to run into half the
congragation (after the "Blue laws" were ended that is). The store
grew up with the town.
Stocked every thing from coal furnace caulk to udder balm to snow
sleds. If you needed it chances were they sold it. If it was broken
chances were they knew how to fix it and had the parts. I don't
remember when they opened (some time around 1900) but I remember
holding on to my fathers plaid shirt as he walked into the store and
right to the exact spot to find what he came in for.
The store is still open and I love to take my son with me when I go
into town for a visit. There is no less then 3 Borgs 1 Lowes and Two
Sears Hardware stores with in 10 miles of the place now. Lets hope
they can hold on.

Good Luck and God Speed
Tom S.