Posted to uk.d-i-y
PeterC PeterC is offline

Default OT - Radio controlled clocks

On Tue, 03 Apr 2012 21:55:45 +0100, Tim Streater wrote:

In article ,
PeterC wrote:

On Tue, 03 Apr 2012 20:25:27 +0100, Andy Burns wrote:

Mike Lane wrote:

I wonder if anyone else has noticed that some radio controlled clocks are
not keeping quite as accurate time recently.

I've just discovered the reason which is that the NPL transmitter at
Anthorn, Cumbria has been shut down since 26 March for maintenance work.

You'd think they'd pick the maintenance windows to be a decent period
*away* from GMT/BST switch dates ...

I'm just glad that there's an explanation. There are 2 clocks in this room:
1 on Anthorn and the other on somewhere in Germany and I wasn't sure which
was correct.

I wonder how time servers (computer type!) are adjusted, as the UK clock and
the PC clock are in sync. but ~1.5s behind Germany.

From other time servers higher up the hierarchy. The top ones are synced
with atomic clocks IIRC.

Several years ago I used NPL but then changed ...ac.uk ones. ICR why, but
possibly NPL blocked unknown IPs.
--
Peter.
The gods will stay away