Posted to alt.home.repair
chaniarts[_3_] chaniarts[_3_] is offline

Default fireplace cleaning

On 4/1/2012 10:50 AM, HeyBub wrote:
Doug wrote:
I was looking at a house the other day and it had an interior gas
fireplace (built around 2007 or so) that had been used. The back
wall was blackish with ashes all around the fireplace. I was just
wondering aside from vacuuming the ashes out, is there a safe
effective way to get the black out of the back wall to make it look
like the fireplace was not used?

Carbon is slightly soluble in liquid iron - that's how they make steel -
and, according to my CRC Handbook, virtually nothing else.

Inasmuch as there is no viable chemical solution to your problem, you'll
have to rely on a mechanical solution, i.e., scrubbing or removing the top
layer of the fireplace bricks.

You might consider wallpapering over the ugly-looking black stuff.

carbon burns.