Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
jk jk is offline

Default OT Is the George Plimpton who posts here an artificial intelligence bot?

George Plimpton wrote:

On 4/3/2012 3:05 PM, jk wrote:
George wrote:
You aren't a very good listener. I told you that every one who knows me
knows that I am not just a smart guy but I'm also a very knowledgeable
one too.
You ****ing idiot: being smart *means* being knowledgeable.

Actually they are separate and distinct George.
You can be extremely smart, and still be uneducated.

You're confusing intelligent and smart.

I think we will have to disagree here.
A person is smart if he knows a
lot, i.e. has accumulated knowledge.

To me that is knowledgeable, not smart.
Dictionary.com is equivocal, Merriam Webster does include intellegent
in their definition, but neither seem to use knowledgeable. I think I
will stick with my usage.

A person is intelligent if he can
learn things easily and quickly.

To me that is only part of intelligent, but an important part.
Another significant part is the ability to make connections between
parts of what one has learned.

And of course the reverse is true, you could be an educated idiot.

Hawwke-Ptooey strikes me as closer to that.

In the common vernacular "duh"

The value of a university education, especially if it's only a
bachelor degree, is not in the subject matter itself, but rather in
learning how to think critically.

I don't think that is completely true in all areas, but it is largely
so.

Very clearly, Hawwke-Ptooey never
learned that.

We he does seem to confuse "critical thinking" with being critical.

jk