Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default OT Is the George Plimpton who posts here an artificial intelligencebot?

On 4/3/2012 3:05 PM, jk wrote:
George wrote:

You aren't a very good listener. I told you that every one who knows me
knows that I am not just a smart guy but I'm also a very knowledgeable
one too.

You ****ing idiot: being smart *means* being knowledgeable.

Actually they are separate and distinct George.
You can be extremely smart, and still be uneducated.

You're confusing intelligent and smart. A person is smart if he knows a
lot, i.e. has accumulated knowledge. A person is intelligent if he can
learn things easily and quickly. I've known intelligent people who
aren't very smart (because they don't apply themselves), and I've known
smart people who aren't very intelligent. The people in the former
group usually are strikingly lazy - they have all the mental horsepower
to learn and learn easily, but they just won't apply themselves. In my
personal experience, one guy in the latter group really stands out. He
seemed particularly bright - not dimwitted, just not particularly bright
- but he was extremely focused and hardworking, and became an emergency
room physician. A mutual friend of the ER doc and me is one of the
brightest but laziest guys I've ever known. If he had had the same
focus and work ethic of the ER doc, I think he's probably be
spectacularly successful today.

And of course the reverse is true, you could be an educated idiot.

Hawwke-Ptooey strikes me as closer to that. He has something one might
call a college education, but he really didn't learn anything of value.
The value of a university education, especially if it's only a
bachelor degree, is not in the subject matter itself, but rather in
learning how to think critically. Very clearly, Hawwke-Ptooey never
learned that.