Bernard Randall

Default Speed Control

"DJ Delorie" wrote in message

John Siegel writes:
I understand speed controllers but not why you would want one on a
router. For a handheld router, any bit large enough to require
reducing the speed is probably too large to use safely hand held.

Speed controllers are also used when small bits need to be run slower,
such as with woods prone to burning or delicate or intricate cuts
where you can't move the router fast enough to avoid burning.
Especially with piloted bits instead of bearing bits.

At least, that's what I use my speed controller for.

I second those thoughts, in addition:

If you ever make cabinet doors you end up with long grain and end grain at
the top and bottom of the doors, this is normally cut with some form of
decorative bit. The end grain needs to be cut at about 1/2 the speed of the
long grain else you end up with burn marks that are almost impossible to get
rid of.

Complexity of outline, bit and wood charactaristics need balancing with
spindle speed.

For a bench router you really need the meanest plain machine you can get, I
had a big old Makita at one stage, no soft start, no speed control, a bitch
to hand hold but great in a table with a separate speed controller.

Bernard R