Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Dishwasher problem

On Apr 3, 1:35*pm, bud-- wrote:
On 4/2/2012 1:26 PM, Daniel Prince wrote:

I have read that a bad computer power supply can damage other
computer components. *Could the dishwasher have a bad power supply
that is damaging the control board? *It might be mounted under the
tub where it is difficult for the repair technicians to test or
replace it.

My guess is that the power supply is part of the control board.

I haven't taken apart modern ones to know for sure, but
that seems like a reasonable guess. Along those lines,
as I pointed out before, it's also possible that there is some
other bad component causing the failures. For example,
if that board drives a solenoid and the solenoid is bad,
drawing excessive current, it could cause the driver on
the board to fail.

Not being able to get parts suggests short supply caused by many
failures from a design or manufacturing problem. Maybe, if you are
lucky, the manufacturer is taking time to fix the real problem. Then
again, maybe the problem is on the control board and you are replacing
the control panel.

About the only other specific is that traces?ribbon-wire was burned
on/at the control panel. The control panel shouldn't have major current
carrying parts (unless there are other connections to the control panel).

--
bud--

I would definitely be looking at the board to see if there are any
indications of which components failed. And it's also possible
that the reversed hot and neutral has something to do with it,
though you would think it would not. I know I recently put in a
furnace and the install instructions stated that it would not
operate with the hot and neutral reversed.