Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Jerry G. Jerry G. is offline

Default Charging a car battery with 14V AC?

On Saturday, March 24, 2012 12:12:39 PM UTC-4, Gary wrote:
Hi everyone!

Any reason why AC can't be used to charge a car battery? Reason I'm
asking is that I have an old Fedtro Powerhouse charger
which is outputting AC.

You cannot charge a battery on AC. Battery chargers have to be properly current regulated at the nominal charging voltage for the battery. You do not want to have any kind of battery rupture, and especially a car battery! The acid will do a lot of damage.

Invest in a proper safe battery charger!

Jerry G.