Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Garage Door Opener Question

On Fri, 30 Mar 2012 06:28:17 -0700 (PDT), "
wrote:

On Mar 29, 11:08Â*pm, "Robert Green"
wrote:
"HeyBub" wrote in message

stuff snipped

3. The most common culprit is the push-button switch. Replace it with a
doorbell switch, avaliable at the box store for a couple of bucks.

+1 Â*Finger oil infiltrates PB switches over time, especially one with nearly
flush buttons where there's little distance between the button surface and
the surrounding opening. Â*The OP might be able to clean it out but I would
suggest replacing it.

--
Bobby G.

You must have some fingers that are just dripping grease.
I'm having a hard time seeing how finger oil could ever get
to the actual contacts inside the switch.

Likewize - but do NOT try to use a "lighted" doorbell switch. In MOST
cases it will cause the exact problem you are trying to solve - or
possibly even render the remotes useless as well.