Posted to alt.home.repair
Ed Pawlowski Ed Pawlowski is offline

Default All aluminum versus copper/aluminum coils for air conditioner?

On Sun, 01 Apr 2012 22:52:41 -0400, Smarty wrote:

Tonight I did find this article (see link below) from a company which
apparently offers (only) aluminum and not copper heat exchangers /
coils, and they offer claims that aluminum is superior, but I am not
convinced. If they offered both and showed the relative benefits of
each, I might find it more convincing.

I guess I am both too old and also too old-fashion to get very excited
about an all aluminum solution. Since Trane is the only A/C manufacturer
using it as far as I know, I have to believe it is not the obviously
better solution, especially given the relative costs of copper versus
aluminum.

Thanks again for replying.

http://www.hydro.com/en/Subsites/Hyd...um-and-copper/

This, IMO, is the most important line of the story:
"Thus, together with the cost savings of replacing copper with
aluminium, the accumulated benefits of switching to all-aluminium heat
exchangers are considerable."

It about the money.