Posted to uk.d-i-y
Martin Brown Martin Brown is offline

Default Help! -caustic soda overdose.

On 01/04/2012 19:49, Chris Holford wrote:
In , The Natural Philosopher
writes
Chris Holford wrote:

I thought it would be a good idea to put a little caustic soda down the
plugholes in the shower try. Unfortunately I was over generous and the
caustic soda granules seem to have congealed in the trap and blocked it.
Would be a big job to get to the trap. I've tried a plunger, and tried
neutralising with spirits of salts (NaOH + HCl H2O + NaCL, ie salt
and water). -still no joy. The drain hole has a white disk a little
below the opening which prevents direct poking.
Any ideas?

hot water and leave it. It will eventually dissolve

Thanks for advice; am keeping my fingers crossed!

The other important advice is wear eye protection or a face shield when
you are near it. You really do not want to be on the receiving end of a
blow back of strong caustic solution. Time and plenty of hot water
should be enough to get rid of it eventually.

I am surprised that you are not already sat in casualty with serious
chemical burns if you poured HCl in after it. That reaction can get
seriously hot and generate steam. You were lucky this time.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown