Posted to alt.home.repair
[email protected] tangerine3@toyotamail.com is offline

Default Pressure or Rachet Caulking Gun

On Sat, 31 Mar 2012 16:10:37 -0400, "Cliff Hartle"
wrote:

OK I'm very confused.

I used to work construction and if I handed the 20 year guy my pressure
caulking gun he would look at it and act like if he asked for hammer and I
handed him a hammer from a Bob the Builder Tool Belt. He only wanted a
ratchet gun.

I read a how to paint article in Home Handyman and the pro there also only
uses a ratchet gun.

Why?

I can't think of a single plus for a ratchet gun. The caulk comes out in
pulses and when you finish you have to hurry up and grab the rod before it
leaks all over your work. Now when you startup again you have to click it a
few times to build up the pressure again.

On a pressure gun the caulk comes out smoother and when you stop squeezing
guess what, the caulk stops flowing from the end of the tube.

Also I have read that pressure guns are easier to squeeze.

This is driving me a little crazy.

Why does everything these days need to be powered? Here we are paying a
fortune for gasoline and electricity and we have these lazy generation
of youth who dont have the muscle strength to operate a damn caulking
gun. No wonder they are all obese. I've used a hand operated caulking
gun for at least 40 years and they work just fine for me, unless the
caulk is old and semi dried (which means toss it and buy new caulk). I
see no sense having them powered. Just like a guy bought a powered
grease gun for his car. WHY?

Some years ago I was doing some construction for a guy, and he handed me
a power nailer for nailing studs. I tried it, and thought it was
obnoxious. It was heavy, had that blasted air hose fighting me for the
proper angle I wanted to toe nail, and it would shoot a nail before I
had the stud even and straight. I told him to buy some real nails and
grab my hammer out of my toolbox. That damn power nailer cut my
productivity in half, wasted several studs that seemed to shatter, and
this dont account for these power nailers being dangerous. No thanks.
I can build easier and faster with a plain hammer and nails.

Power saws and drills router and sanders are a good thing. I also like
my air ratchet. After that, I'll stick to plain old fashioned hand
tools.