Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
jk jk is offline

Default OT Is the George Plimpton who posts here an artificial intelligence bot?

Hawke wrote:

Did you suddenly become "more educated" the day you got your degree,
than the day before?

The way education is measured is in credentials.

That is ONE way , but not the only way. If it were there would be no
such ting as the SAL, GRE, LSAT or professional licensing exams.

So yes, the day I
graduated I became more educated than the day before I graduated. That's
by the standard of how you measure education.

Apparently the only way YOU can measure it.
Was I not just as educated
a week before I graduated? Of course I was, but you measure a man's
education by his degrees.

Can't have it both ways. Either you were more educated or you weren't.
~52% of the US population (as of 2000) had some college.
and BTW, going to college, is NOT the only way to get an education,
and a "history buff" ought to know that.

That all depends on what you define as education. Most people call
education college.

Ahhhh your misuse of the "most people" again.

No, I believe most people use the term "Formal Education" for what you
mean.

They don't call all learning education although it
probably is. But you're talking about what words mean and that can make
things complicated.

Yeah, especially if you are expected to use them consistently and in a
least some relationship to the way most others use them.

if I am more knowledgeable than most,

At least you are aware that there is a difference between education
and knowledge. But you sure don't show it here.

You're entitled to that opinion but just understand that I think it's
totally wrong.

So you don't think there is a difference?

I haven't seen any great demonstration of knowledge or
education from you either. So why point out me when you haven't shown
any better?

But you probably think your posts show you as someone really
bright? Me too.

Why thank you. I know you don't really mean it, but heck....

And much other puffery.

You don't know what that word means. If you think saying I'm better than
average is puffery you're out of your mind.

Flaming bonkers it is then.

And as for people "finding out right away", just because they don't
SAY it like we do here, does not mean they are not thinking "what an
Ignorant, overbearing, conceited jerk".

But since I don't convey that kind of picture why would anyone think that?

Toooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo easy.

Yeah, but that's you. Anyone else would first conclude that they don't
think I'm an ignorant, overbearing, conceited jerk. I meet all kinds of
people and that is not the impression they get.

You don't know that for a fact. How many of the people you meet, to
you meet again or see regularly?

The truth is I'm a pretty likable guy. Most people who meet me like me.
The exception is when I run into someone who doesn't like me.

Wow.... Caption Obvious, everyone likes you, except those that don't?
What an amazing insight.

I know quite a lot about the poor. I also know about medieval guilds
too. But I don't remember anything specific.

"Perfect Memory " acting up again?

My argument with you isn't
about what happened in history but about what it means and how it is
interpreted.

Which is where you illustrated your ignorance. Sufficiently for others
to mock you.

I don't see things the way you conservatives do.

Let's see, you think people do things solely because of their race,
you think there are "lower classes" of people, sound fairly typical
of the common perception of "conservatives".

I see very
little the way you conservatives do. But if you want to discuss
something specific I assure you that I know enough to do so.

Doesn't really matter to some one who could TRUTHFULLY boast
"So whatever the subject is I know a whole lot about it."

Really?????
WHO here has asked you ANY thing when they don't know something. I
have been here longer than you claim to have been, and I don't recall
seeing it.

Nobody here asks anyone when they don't know something.

Lots of people ask questions here, some even about metalworking. None
of them seem to be direction questions to you though.

Your statement "A few people here don't, but they are the exceptions."
sure implies that all but those few exceptions do ask you for
information.

What you think I'm implying is wrong. Few people ask me for anything
here.

"True dat"

When I used to spend a lot of time in rec.guns I gave people
information all the time.

Regardless of if they wanted it. Which would be why you are here now,
not there?

With the computer you can answer any question, as we all know. Just like
I did to find out that physical chess is just another name for fencing.
Which leads me to ask a question, when did fencing become "physical
chess"?

If you had asked me if I knew anything about fencing I would
have told you that I do. I'm no expert but I know more about it than
most people.

Or are you saying that in a group every one
in the group thinks they are above average? Maybe they are.
Mathematically impossible, showing again that you think 100% of a
group CAN be above it's average. That "I know more than they do about
what it is we are discussing" is really showing through here!

You're simply wrong here. You know why? Because I don't think 100% of a
group can be above its average. I don't know where you got that idea.

Your statement "Maybe they are" would be why.

Taken out of context. Maybe they are was referring to what the people in
the group thought they were.

I don't think "taken out of context" means what you think it does. The
whole context of that line was quoted. NOTHING was out of context.

Wasn't even in a discussion of what you pay YOUR serfs.

It was to me. And nobody that I hire to work for me is a serf. Is that
what you call people who you pay for their labor?

Just riffing on what you prefer to call them, that is to say "lower
classes".
Of course technically no one you hire to work for you is a serf. Might
be a varlet though.

jk