Posted to alt.home.repair
DerbyDad03[_2_] DerbyDad03[_2_] is offline

Default Pressure or Rachet Caulking Gun

On 03/31/12 6:42 PM, Cliff Hartle wrote:
None of my ratchet guns require me to grab the rod at the end of run.

They all have a thumb activated lever just below the rod that releases the
ratchet. As I approach the end of the run, I simply swing my thumb up and
press the lever. The caulking stops almost immediately.

To start again takes maybe one squeeze...certainly not "a few"...to get
the caulk to flow.

This is my favorite gun:

http://www.newborncaulkguns.com/webs...odel%20111.jpg

I have a couple like this, with the "external" release, but I like the
Newborn much better.

http://www.swisco.com/DIY-Ratchet-Ro...f-Tools/75-087

OK I may have a bit of confusion on the names of guns. When I say ratchet
gun I mean one where the rod has teeth. To me those are not ratchet guns but
pressure guns.

This website compares the two.

http://homerepair.about.com/od/tools...caulk_guns.htm

Oh and on my pressure guns you don't have to hit the release. Its kind of
backs off on its own.

OK, maybe it was I that was confused.

None of mine have teeth. They are all smooth rods with thumb lever releases.

Never tried one without a thumb release...don't know if I ever will
unless I buy one since I don't spend a lot of time caulking with
friends. ;-)