Posted to alt.home.repair
Martin C. Martin C. is offline

Default Any ideas for binding a book using home-repair tools &materials?

On Sat, 31 Mar 2012 08:08:10 -0700, Pat wrote:

I use PVA glue bought at Walmart in the craft section

Looks like polyvinyl acetates are the rubbery ingredient of normal white
glue, of which I have plenty.

I rough up the back of the pages and add glue.

Good idea to sandpaper the edge after clamping.

rub the glue in using some sort of scraper
trying to penetrate between the pages a little.

Another good technique suggestion!

I add a strip of fabric netting also bought at Walmart.

Ah. Spare fabric seems even better than string for strength.

A book press is probably essential.

I had never heard of a 'book press'; so googling, I find it's this:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bookbinding

It looks like a two-step operation in that article:
1. Glue the "text block" (i.e., glue the printed pages)
2. Glue the cover onto that spine