Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Paul Drahn Paul Drahn is offline

Default 1 inch impact and 1/2 inch compressed air piping

On 2012-03-31, wrote:
On Fri, 30 Mar 2012 22:26:41 -0500, Ignoramus25729
wrote:

In a certain surplus deal, I acquired four trailer+pickup truck/loads
of various surplus stuff, mostly electrical.

One item was a CP 1 inch impact wrench, which I really wanted due to
having two trucks and such.

The compressed air system in my building is based on 1/2" NPT pipe,
and I wonder if it is sufficient to run such a big impact wrench. Does
anyone have any relevant experience.

42 years in the tire business. If your supply line is more than 50
feet long or has a bunch of turns, you need 3/4 or 1" pipe. You need
10 CFM @ 90 psi.

Thanks. Sad, but, just what I was afraid off. I will not redo the
entire air system, but probably will have to redo some part of it.

An impact wrench doesn't run for very long. Pick the location where you
will use the wrench and add another air tank to the line at that
location. Then you can connect the wrench to the tank.

Paul