Posted to alt.home.repair
Robert Green Robert Green is offline

Default Killer Cat-Sized Rats Invade Florida

"Doug" wrote in message

stuff snipped

Any possum living in NYC near the subway is going to end up looking

pretty
black, too. I'm thinking Doug saw a possum. But I probably should go to

the
NYC Health Dep't site . . .

OK, maybe it WAS a rat. There's no shortage of hits for "largest rat

ever
found in NYC."

http://i.mediatakeout.com/photo/1314362412big_rat.jpg

http://cdn.mediatakeout.com/50702/sh...ide-brooklyn-h

ousing-project-you-ain-t-gonna-believe-the-size-of-it.html

Robert, you're right. I'll never know either what it was but as I
recall, it was large, well at least the size of a medium dog and it
was kinda blackish in color. The color tho was probably because it
was near a very oily body of water then. I remember thinking why it
would try to eat along side a very oily body of water. The water then
was so badly polluted.

After scanning through a number of sites that claimed to have pictures of
the city's largest rat, I think it's very likely you did see a giant rat. I
really had no idea how bigs rats in NYC actually got until I went looking.

However, that area's close enough to the airport that any number of
non-native animals could have escaped and made their way to where you saw
them. I know around the Miami airport there are thousands of animals that
have escaped from air cargo that aren't native to Florida that cause a lot
of trouble for the native species and local animal control.

When I lived in the restaurant district in DC, I once heard something
scuttling under the bed. I grabbed a flashlight and looked under to see a
cockroach as large as mouse, just waddling across the floor. I couldn't
believe that it was so big I could actually hear it moving around. It was
like that scene from Aliens where the Marine lifts up a suspended ceiling
panel for a look and sees giant bug-like aliens. I moved out shortly after.

--
Bobby G.