Posted to uk.d-i-y
dennis@home dennis@home is offline

Default Off topic, internet connection

"Graham." wrote in message
On Thu, 29 Mar 2012 21:10:41 +0100, ss wrote:

I know its not strictly DIY but wondering if anyone can help, on my
wifes laptop she has suddenly lost everything to do with the internet
connection. The main PC uses Virgin and she uses a wireless connection
from that.

This is possible I suppose using bridged network connections and ICS,
but are you sure that your main PC even needs to be switched on in
order to use the Internet wirelessly from your laptop?

At one time, and maybe now, virgin only allowed one MAC address to access
the internet.
If you changed PCs you had to power down the cable modem so it relearned the
MAC address.
This may or may not be an issue.

BTW the button on some virgin cable modems didn't turn them off and hence
did not reset the MAC.
It only turned the indicator lights off.