Posted to uk.d-i-y
ss ss is offline

Default Off topic, internet connection

On 29/03/2012 21:51, ss wrote:
On 29/03/2012 21:24, John Rumm wrote:
On 29/03/2012 21:10, ss wrote:
I know its not strictly DIY but wondering if anyone can help, on my
wifes laptop she has suddenly lost everything to do with the internet
connection. The main PC uses Virgin and she uses a wireless connection
from that.
The icons at the bottom right of the screen have gone, I would normally
click on there and then click repair but cant find them anymore, I have
tried in control panel but nothing I can see in there other than some
sort of wizard for a new connection.
I dont have a clue at this end of computing (son set it up)
tried system restore but that aint working (getting someone to look at
that for me)

Do the obvious one first, check to see if the laptop has a hard or a
keyboard combination switch to turn wireless off. With wireless
disabled, some of the normal wireless controls will vanish.

I did run a scan and it came up with Module
C:\windows\System32\Drivers\dxgTHK,sys **suspicious** which means jot
all to me.

In theory its part of Microsoft DirectX, so usually not worth worrying
about.

I found the key but it makes no difference.

I should clarify its only the icons for the internet connection that
have disappeared, the one that flashes when connected, all the other
icons are still there.