Posted to uk.d-i-y
Rod Speed Rod Speed is offline

Default Off topic, internet connection

Tim Downie wrote
The Natural Philosopher wrote
ss wrote

I know its not strictly DIY but wondering if anyone can help, on my wifes laptop she has suddenly lost everything to
do with the internet connection.

The main PC uses Virgin and she uses a wireless connection from that.
The icons at the bottom right of the screen have gone, I would normally
click on there and then click repair but cant find them anymore, I have
tried in control panel but nothing I can see in there other than some
sort of wizard for a new connection.

I dont have a clue at this end of computing (son set it up)
tried system restore but that aint working (getting someone to look at
that for me)
I did run a scan and it came up with Module
C:\windows\System32\Drivers\dxgTHK,sys *suspicious* which means jot all to me.

I had this problem till I discovered a button on the laptop that
totally disables wireless :-)

+1

If there's not an "antenna" switch, you may find that the function
keys can toggle the wi-fi function on and off. Look for a key with a
crows foot like symbol.

It doesnt have anything like a crows foot like symbol on any I have seen.

Much more often it looks like an antenna with some sort of radio waves around it.

And turning it off shouldnt see ALL the systray icons disappear anyway.

Maybe he didnt say that bit carefully enough, but since the system restore
has gone as well, its more likely its running Vista and it has imploded.