Posted to uk.d-i-y
Rod Speed Rod Speed is offline

Default Off topic, internet connection

The Natural Philosopher wrote
ss wrote

I know its not strictly DIY but wondering if anyone can help, on my
wifes laptop she has suddenly lost everything to do with the internet
connection. The main PC uses Virgin and she uses a wireless
connection from that.

The icons at the bottom right of the screen have gone, I would
normally click on there and then click repair but cant find them
anymore, I have tried in control panel but nothing I can see in
there other than some sort of wizard for a new connection.
I dont have a clue at this end of computing (son set it up)
tried system restore but that aint working (getting someone to look
at that for me)

I did run a scan and it came up with Module
C:\windows\System32\Drivers\dxgTHK,sys **suspicious** which means jot all to me.

its supposed to be a direct X video driver. Googling reveals that it MAY be compromised.

it should be small - about 1.4k in size.

But its unlikely that malware kicks you OFF line.

up then you know the wireless is gone pear shaped.

I had this problem till I discovered a button on the laptop that
totally disables wireless :-)

That doesnt make all the systray icons disappear.

Bet its Vista and that its just imploded.

Any help would be good