Posted to alt.home.repair
Han Han is offline

Default OT Short of news in the UK

" wrote in
:

On 28 Mar 2012 17:03:52 GMT, Han wrote:

" wrote in
news
On 28 Mar 2012 11:49:52 GMT, Han wrote:

"HeyBub" wrote in
news:YuudnVoSL5w86u_SnZ2dnUVZ_r2dnZ2d@earthlin k.com:

Jim Elbrecht wrote:

But there's only one VA hospital in Manhattan. You can remove
the problem you mention by moving the hospital to Long Island,
thereby eliminating the crazy-making contamination that comes
from the drinking water in Manhattan, or the air, or the cab
drivers, or whatever.

By suggesting that moving to LI would lower the 'crazy-quotient'
for whatever reason, you exhibit a complete lack of understanding
of the area.g [not to mention the point that there is a
whole lot of crazy *inside* the hospital]

I spent two weeks in Manhattan one night. Our hotel was on Times
Square. I remember requesting a window seat when we went to Howard
Johnson's for dinner so we could watch the floor show.

We visited in 1970 or '71. Then went to see family in upper
Manhattan. We got very strange eyes when we told them where we were
staying. But now Times Square has been cleaned up since years ago,
it's fun to watch. Manhattan is a great place to walk about.
Almost every block is different and interesting. Did you take a bus
tour?

We were there several times, in the mid '70, though '93ish and saw
the changes. Guiliani really did clean it up. AIUI, it's slipping
backwards since the cops aren't as vigilant WRT "minor" crimes under
Bloomberg.

They are too much focused on their computers and statistics. And
money is a big thing nowadays ...

Sure, Guliani was focused on the turn-stile jumpers and petty thiefs.
The theory was that they were "easy" and were being perpetrated by the
same people as the major crimes. Lock 'em up where they can't. Makes
too much sense for the lefties in there now. Nothing was worse than
Dinkins in Gracie Mansion, though.

Yes, the crackdown on petty little offenses and crimes was absolutely
key. That way the police caught people who were illegally carrying
firearms and other weapons, burglary tools, what have you. Plus a little
cooling off in holding cells. In addition, there appeared to be a change
in demographics to "calmer". Don't ask me details, but something like
that is often quoted.

Heybub, of course there are no illegal guns, only illegal possession,
use, modification of guns. But, US law uses a concept of ... Oops, now
I can't find the phrase, it's like the homeowner is at fault if a drunk
or kid wanders onto his property, falls into and drowns in a pool that's
not fenced. IMO, just giving out or selling guns to people without some
kind of regulation will lead to many more incidents of illegal use etc.
Or do you consider Gabby Giffords and victims like that just collatera;
damage of the freedom you desire?

--
Best regards
Han