Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.design,sci.electronics.cad,sci.electronics.basics
Phil Hobbs Phil Hobbs is offline

Default Hmmmm?

Jim Thompson wrote:

Check out these links....

http://tinyurl.com/7lfn7y8

http://tinyurl.com/c5hrbr

One wonders about what those rankings include. At a lot of the most
prestigious schools in the US, the famous professors can't be bothered
with undergraduates. Stanford was an amazing place to be a grad
student, though.

On the other hand, at UBC, where I went, and the University of Toronto,
and UConn (where my #2 daughter and my son go, respectively), the very
best faculty do a lot of teaching undergrads. My third year
electromagnetics class was taught by Prof. Bill Unruh, a leading light
in general relativity, and many of the others were also taught at a very
high level. One of my fourth-year honours astronomy classes was
scheduled to be taught in the prof's office, but there was one more
student than there were chairs, so we moved to a classroom--and that was
at a school with 30k students.

Both my son and my daughter had the dean of the faculty as their
undergraduate advisors. That sure doesn't grow on trees at the Ivies.

So the wisdom is to go to a big teaching school for a bachelor's degree,
and a top research school for graduate work, when possible.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs