Posted to alt.home.repair
John McGaw John McGaw is offline

Default Fire Department poles they use to remove boards

On 3/28/2012 6:45 PM, wrote:
When the fire departments are putting out fires they have long poles
with a hook on the end to grab and remove boards.

In the process of demolishing an old house, I could use one of them. I
suspect the hooks are sold separately and are put onto long dowels.

Does anyone know what these hooks or the whole poles are called? I want
to see if I can get such a thing online. They are not sold at the local
stores. If I cant get them, I can probably get the local machine shop
to make me a hook, but I need to see a photo so I know what they look
like. If I know the name, I can google photos.

Thanks

Possibly a 'hook pike'? I've never seen any that were more than about 5 or
6 feet long though. There is a shorter tool sometimes called a 'hooligan
bar' which is used to force entry through and pry apart almost anything but
that is even shorter and I don't see any way one could be extended.

What is it you are hoping to do with the tool? If you are simply knocking
down a building and not trying to salvage materials it is probably easier
to just hire someone with a decently large backhoe to come in for an hour
and do the nastiest most dangerous stuff -- roof off and walls down.