Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Noddy Noddy is offline

Default Bridgeport head question

On 29/03/2012 11:25 AM, DoN. Nichols wrote:

One thing to check before you do this is the condition of the
parts of the variable speed pulleys to make sure that they don't need
replacement and thus will quickly lead to problems. The things to check

1) The Delrin sleeve inside the sliding pulley half, so it will
slide properly on the motor spindle (and on the quill spindle as
well).

2) The key which slides in a slot in the motor's spindle, and
a similar one in the quill's spindle. This is steel with a
skin of Delrin so it slides smoothly in the keyways. it bolts
into the moving half of the pulley, IIRC.

If the latter is worn out (worn to the steel) it will start
wearing the keyway so it will not allow things to slide smoothly
while varying the speed. And this one will require replacing
the spindle of the motor -- or the rotor with the spindle.
(I've had to do this with an old machine.)

Good Luck,
DoN.

Thanks for that DoN.

I did a quick tear down of the vary speed head on Tuesday and
unfortunately it's in sad shape. My friend was told that it had done
little or no work, but it's quite obviously been worked to death with
very little maintenance and it needs to be fully rebuilt. Given that the
only reason for trying this swap was that it was hopefully going to be a
no (or very low) cost option I've now ruled out ever using the vary
speed head and will try to sell it and put the funds towards a VFD
conversion at some future point.

Oh well. Nothing ventured and all that hoo hah.....

Thanks to everyone for their help. It's been greatly appreciated.

--
Regards,
Noddy.