Posted to alt.home.repair
Han Han is offline

Default OT Short of news in the UK

Kurt Ullman wrote in
m:

In article ,
Han wrote:

The US VA system is a very unique system, with very many very good
things going for it. Of course, there are some bad things going on
as well. Just like you don't go to the gynecologist to get a broken
leg fixed, the VA patients are unique enough to warrant special
treatment. When the US stops fighting wars (I'm in favor of less
war, but some seem inevitable, and I support them!), the need for the
VA system will diminish. But we'll need it for the lifetime of the
brave men who fought and are still fighting these last wars.

I have long been fascinated (through many administrations with
differing party affiliations) by the VA. Even within the same city,
they can have some of the best, university affiliated hospitals in the
world and a few miles away some of the worst 3rd world hell holes.

Amen. I think I've been lucky to have been at a "good" VA hospital, at
23rd Str & First Ave. It was started with staff from NYU (which is
practically next doors), Cornell Medical College (50 blocks uptown),
Columbia (&168St on the West side), and Mount Sinai (100th Str and 5th
Ave). Understandably it's now almost exclusively NYU staff, which also
staffs Bellevue Hospital (I believe). Thus, the environment really
stimulates good medicine. I suspect (but I do not really know) the
hellholes may be more some of the long-term treatment facilities. I
would venture to guess that better oversight by qualified medical
personnel would enhance those "bad" facilities.

--
Best regards
Han