Posted to alt.home.repair
Art Todesco Art Todesco is offline

Default Garage Door Opener Question

On 3/28/2012 8:24 AM, HeyBub wrote:
Robert11 wrote:
Hello,

What a great Newsgroup.

I have the typical electric garage door opener; probably about 10 yrs
old or so.
No idea what brand.

It works perfectly using either of our remotes (from the cars)

But, pressing on the indoor button to activate does nothing.

Is the "most likely" cause a defective button since the remotes work
it just fine ?

Or,... ?

BTW: is it most likely that this indoor button is low voltage, and
not the typical 110 V house voltage ?

I wouldn't think so, but might the electrical line going to this
indoor pushbutton have its own fuse (by the motor somewhere ?) ?

1. The voltage is almost certainly 12V.

Probably not 12, but usually 24 VAC. There are usually 2 terminals
(usually
screw type) where low voltage buttons can be connected. If these terminals
are shorted together, it should activate the opener.
2. It is unlikely to be fused.

Yup. The transformer providing the low voltage might be fused. These are
buried in the transformer itself, however, if it works from the radio
remotes,
it's probably not that.
3. The most common culprit is the push-button switch. Replace it with a
doorbell switch, avaliable at the box store for a couple of bucks.

I'd bet on a broken wire, but those doorbell buttons are sure made cheap.
4. While you're at it, add another switch (in parallel) so that you can
activate the door from either the people door or just inside the car access
door.