James D. Kountz

Default Advice needed on Cherry table top

Ed, I like following you around this group. From what I have seen of the
majority of your posts, you say it all, correctly the first time! Good job
buddy!

Jim

"Edwin Pawlowski" wrote in message
. com...

That is not all that much of a span. To add rigidity, just screw and glue

vertical piece along the back. It only have to be an inch wide or so to

make
it very strong. This is the way bridges are built. My crappy

particleboard
desk has a span of about 58" clean and support the monitor and assorted

junk
on my desk.

As for the plywood versus solid wood, that is a function of time and

money.
IMO, real wood glued up and properly finished will look far better than
plywood. OTOH, plywood is easier, faster, probably cheaper to make such a
large piece. You can band it in solid wood and it will look nice. I'm
finishing a stand right now that is oak plywood with solid trim. Overall,
it will be just fine but if I was making heirloom furniture, it would be
solid, no ply.
Ed

http://pages.cthome.net/edhome