Posted to alt.home.repair
Jules Richardson Jules Richardson is offline

Default 2 cycle compression ...... redux

On Tue, 27 Mar 2012 17:17:31 -0700, Steve B wrote:

Went to the local small engine repair place today to get a couple of
other parts for another machine. He checked the compression, and it was
an astounding 45 psi. So, apparently there are major problems in the
engine, probably rings. Not sure whether to dump more $$$ into this, or
just junk it and get the electric used ones at yard sales for $15.

Pull the head on it and check the bore for damage - typically on these
smaller engines the head gaskets are quite meaty and will come off clean
(and can be reused). Unless, of course, it's a head gasket problem in
the first place...

Oh, wait, I think I know the answer to this one.........

I don't know, I don't like electric stuff - too much of a pain to run
cords everywhere. On the other hand, gas prices... :-)

cheers

Jules