Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Wild_Bill Wild_Bill is offline

Default Automotive battery charging

A lot of mysticism/voodoo exists wrt lead/acid battery charging and
handling.

The old "law" that a battery will be ruined if left to sit on a concrete
floor will probably live on indefinitely.

Some folks will strongly defend the rectified AC charger method, while
others will dismiss it as being a non-issue.
See the desulfator (desulphator) discussion started on the 25th, and/or read
about their use of pulses to extend useful lead/acid battery life.

The which-is-faster or which-is-better debates continue as instant
gratification becomes more popular.
Manufacturers want consumers to believe their products are extra durable and
recharge faster than any other, as an incentive to purchasing and profits.

Charging lead/acid batteries slowly and completely has always been the best
method.

The average consumer generally doesn't own enough of one brand/type of
batteries to be able to establish meaningful statistical data (numerous
identical vehicles all with batteries of the same brand, type, age and
usage).. but fleet maintenance shops often do.

Over the years, the people I've known that were frequently replacing their
car batteries have been the ones that let the battery go dead (from leaving
lights on or various electrical problems), then jump the battery to get the
car going, and never put the battery on a charger.

Aside from manufacturing defects or accidental damage, negligence and abuse
are the factors that kill batteries.

--
Cheers,
WB

"klem kedidelhopper" wrote in message
I'm having a discussion on another group with someone about battery
charging. I often charge my batteries including automotive off my
bench power supply. He was telling me that smooth regulated DC is not
the best thing to use for charging batteries. He said that half wave
rectified unfiltered DC will prevent the growth of "dentrites" that
can eventually extend and short out the plates. This is the first I've
ever heard of this. Does anyone have any further insight on this? Lenny