Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Hawke[_3_] Hawke[_3_] is offline

Default OT Is the George Plimpton who posts here an artificial intelligencebot?

On 3/24/2012 6:06 PM, wrote:
On Mar 24, 8:38 pm, wrote:

So what is your point about it being a novel ?

Dan

Simple, novels are the kind of books that the title frequently doesn't
give you any idea what it is about.

As for Venn diagrams, I know what they are but I didn't know what they
were called. Why did you bring them up? What do they have to do with
book titles?

Hawke

I brought up Venn diagrams because you are saying the purpose of book
titles is to identify what the book is about, and then you say novels
are the kind of book that the title frequently does not give you an
idea of what the book is about.

Thinking in terms of Venn diagrams should make you aware that novels
are in the set of "books". The very thing we have been talking about.

Dan

You are having a real problem separating the wheat from the chaff. I've
said already that not all books have a title that gives you any idea
what the book is about. Novels are most likely to be like that. But the
point I made that the primary purpose of a book title is to identify to
the potential reader what the book is about is still true. I will
continue to believe that unless you can prove that most books have
titles that have no connection to what the book is about. Perhaps you
might want to consult a librarian about this because I know you don't
believe much of what you are told.

Hawke