Posted to uk.d-i-y
geoff geoff is offline

Default destroying data CDs?

In message , MM
writes
On Mon, 26 Mar 2012 21:28:43 +0100, geoff wrote:

In message , Andy Champ
writes
On 25/03/2012 22:57, geoff wrote:
In message , Andy Champ
writes
On 24/03/2012 13:24, geoff wrote:

Another way of selling them would be to list on the box, "Can also be
used to destroy unwanted CDs".

Ever seen such inclusion listed?

OK - blööööde trottel

you say you lived in germany. What is a bottle opener called?

Flaschenöffner.

Z.b.

http://www.ostarrichi.org/woerterbuch.html?wort=1851v

cough That says the Austrians think the Russians came up with the
term. And that in German it's called "Flaschenöffner" while in
Austrian _only_ it's "Siebzehner".

Whatever, it was the first reference I found

It was in common usage when I lived there

But then, these are the guys that confused my wife by having earth
apples on the menu.

Was that in Bavaria ?

In Franconia they are called earth berries

Wien.

So even further south, yes

I speak hardly any German, so I'm used to guessing; when it said
"Erdäpfel" I guessed it was something like the Dutch "Aardappel". My
polyglot wife insisted on asking the waiter.

Today I asked one of my colleagues about this, knowing he's been a bit
of a drinker in his past, and lived in Germany. He'd never heard of
the Siebzehner term, and all unprompted said "We used to open them with
lighters"!

But you can't do that, its not the right tool for the job ... be told !!

Correct. Moreover, Flaschenöffner are available everywhere - Karstadt,
Kaufhof etc etc, so there's no excuse.

Do **** off you tedious old fart

--
geoff