Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default dennis is moving to Bristol

ARWadsworth wrote:
Dave Liquorice wrote:
On Mon, 26 Mar 2012 19:13:14 +0100, ARWadsworth wrote:

I think compulsory eyesight tests should be required if you are
caught by a visible speed trap.
I partially agree with you. Surveys suggest as many as 1 in 20
drivers cannot pass the basic eyesight test needed to pass the
driving exam.

I find it very odd that you can pass your test at 17 and not have to
do anything to keep your licence, other than keeping your nose clean,
until your 70th birthday. And even then it's pretty much "self
assesment".

Seems very counter to todays cooton wool world that people are
allowed to be in charge of a leathal(*) bit of machinery with out
regular checks on their competancy to operate that bit of machinery.

(*) Around seven people *a day* are killed in UK road "accidents". If
virtually anything else under the control of people killed that many
there would be an out cry.

How many of those 7 are killed by speeding motorists in a village?

Having never lived in a village with a big speeding problem I really cannot
comment on how bad it could be. But IMHO the problems are not the speeders
doing 7 mph above the legal speed limit (often the limit is too low for the
circumstances) but those that are driving under or at the legal speed limit
when the safe limit due to the road conditions at the time is 15MPH or less.

All the accidents I have witnessed bar one were at sub legal speeds.

Focussing on your speedometer is a bad way to drive safely.

and how hard it is to achieve it.