Posted to alt.home.repair

Default 2 cycle compression ......

Ether in the spark hole dries the oil out of the cylinder wall. Can result
in piston locking up, or worse, thrown piston rod. Happened to me.

My Dad's generator didn't start. During a power cut, of course. A "helpful"
neighbor sprayed ether in the spark hole. Locked up the piston. Dad went and
bought another generator.

Dad gave me the broken generator. I freed the piston, and negelected to
reoil the cylinder bore. The motor started, ran half a second, and threw a
piston rod. Turned a $500 generator into a $75 ebay sale "as it". I was
disappointed.

Ether in the spark hole, at your own risk.

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
..

"Art Todesco" wrote in message
checked the plug and it was wet. Dried it off and tried and tried and
nothing. Emptied the gas and put in clean gas/oil. Stihl nothing I
then put in a quick squirt of starting fluid in the plug hole,
reinstalled the plug and tried again. After maybe 10 pulls, it started
without the choke (only on or off) and full open throttle. It seems ok